Gabby

Gabby
Beautiful, loved, missed.

Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

October is Down Syndrome Awareness month!

An online acquaintance of mine has been working on a very important project - a free ebook for expectant mothers with a prenatal Down syndrome diagnosis. As I know all too well, getting that diagnosis is very difficult. And there is a lack of resources available to women in such a position. Many of the resources that DO exist are outdated and geared toward those considering or planning termination of their pregnancy. This new ebook is very current and NOT for those who have chosen to terminate. My friend has worked with several medical professionals to come up with this ebook that will help women with a prenatal diagnosis make sense of everything and find the community resources they need.

Just in time for Down Syndrome Awareness month, the website where the ebook can be downloaded has been launched! I am so excited about this, as it is a resource I can pass along to the pregnant women I correspond with daily. Hopefully it will help many of them realize they are not alone in the community and that resources are available to help them through a difficult time. My friend, Nancy, was kind enough to ask for my opinion and feedback on some things and she included me in the "acknowledgments" on page 3. Later, more materials will be added to their resource library, and there will be a section on Down syndrome loss. Gabby and I will be included in that info. I also hope to pass this resource along to some medical professionals in KY that work with pregnant women.

Here is a link to the website where the book can easily be downloaded.

http://downsyndromepregnancy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment