Gabby

Gabby
Beautiful, loved, missed.

Pages

Friday, May 23, 2014

Making it Work


Making it Work


I’ve wanted to write about this for so long, but I cannot find the time to blog. Right now, I should be working  on any one of about a hundred things that are so far behind, but I am stealing some time to blog because it is therapeutic for me and enables me to focus. By the time I complete this, it will have taken months because I will have worked on it in 2-minute increments.

My Job

As you might imagine, making it work on one income is difficult. It is something Jason and I agreed on long before we married. Dating for nearly 5.5 years prior to marriage means working out a lot of things before walking down the aisle. I knew years ago that God wanted me to stay/work at home with my children. He gave me the opportunity to earn a college degree that has proven to be extremely helpful in my role as a mother. I have questioned the decision so many times, but at the end of the day, I always know I am doing what is right. I have been there for every first smile, first giggle, first step, etc. I have been there to kiss every skinned knee and wipe every tear. I am the one who picks them up from school every day, helps them with homework, listens to them talk about hopes and fears, and so much more. I have not missed any of it, and for that, I am so grateful. There is absolutely no job in the world that could ever make me feel so blessed because there is only one job that God has intended for me to do in the last 11.5 years. Society may question the choice Jason and I have made. Family and friends may do the same, but I am doing what God wants me to do, and that’s what matters above all else. I have made many attempts to change my “job” over the last decade, but God has slammed so many doors. It has almost been comical…the things that have gone wrong as I have tried to find a job working outside the home. It took me a long time to realize that God was telling me something. Will He ever want me to work outside the home again? I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not. My health issues have an impact on that possibility too….as do the unique needs of my oldest children. They have therapy appointments and miss school  more often than their peers due to their unique needs. Without a lengthy explanation, let’s just say that riding the bus is not a good idea for them (mostly just one of them). Jason takes them to school and I pick them up every day. It is a big challenge because I have to take a very rambunctious 3-year-old and an 8-month-old with me every day. And loading them up is very hard on my back. Often, I have to wake Sadie Pearl up from her first and sometimes only nap of the day just so I can go pick up her big sisters. But it is what is best for the situation. Me being at home is what our family needs…at least right now. I am where I need to be and doing what is both the most difficult and most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.  When I was a child, I used to help my dad load and unload firewood sometimes. He sold firewood for years to help support our family. I remember how completely physically exhausting it was. If you’ve ever done it, you know what I mean. Well, my current role (combined with health problems) causes me to be way more sore and exhausted than I ever was working in firewood. It’s tough…physically, mentally, and emotionally. But it is also an amazing blessing, and I am so thankful for every bit of exhaustion.

Even though I am doing what God wants me to do, there are still struggles. Raising a family isn’t free or even anywhere near cheap. With a family on the large side (by today’s standards at least), money can be very tight. But God has not left us without a way to make it work. I have worked from home off and on. I had an Etsy shop for a while. For a time, I was working almost 40 hours per week in addition to caring for the kiddos (only two of them at the time) full-time. I have done online surveys and sold things on Ebay. I have participated in paid online focus groups and even in a study about families at UK. All those things have helped keep our family afloat. And now, God has led me in a slightly different direction. He has shown me how to save money since so many attempts to earn money have been squelched over and over. It takes a lot of work and can be very frustrating at times, but the same is true of any job.

 

Couponing
 

I have been cutting coupons for many years, but I was not really a serious couponer until now. Now, I spend many hours per week, in small increments of time in between diaper changes and fixing snacks for Lincoln, following couponing websites (such as www.thekrazycouponlady.com) I keep track of what’s on sale and where. When there is an excellent deal (meaning very cheap or free) on something we need and regularly use, I stock up as much as our budget and time will allow. Sometimes we have to pass on the great deals because there simply isn’t enough money to afford to stock up. Other times, we are able to get some amazing bargains. We have enough toilet paper, paper towels, and shampoo right now to last for at least 6 months. And we did not pay anywhere close to the prices we used to pay for those items. Serious couponing takes a lot of concentration and a lot of time. That is a major challenge in a house with four children, especially when two of them are so young and dependent on me for so much. Sometimes Jason picks up something in Lexington on his way to or from work, since there are so many more stores there and deals that often cannot be found around here. It is funny to hear him telling someone that it takes a degree in rocket science to figure out all the coupon matches. There can sometimes be three or four different coupons (mobile coupon, store coupon, manufacturer’s coupon, and store promotional offer) for a single item. It gets very confusing, especially with a line of anxious people waiting to check out. When the kiddos are there too, it’s complete chaos. Imagine trying to make sure your cashier gives you credit for four different offers while your infant is screaming, your pre-teens are arguing, and your 3-year-old is having a meltdown. Not fun! And you have more items still in your cart. It’s difficult enough to get the groceries WITHOUT couponing. But…it’s all part of my job as matriarch of this household, and we are so amazingly blessed to be able to buy food when so many cannot. Couponing also allows us to try new products, as it requires flexibility and no brand loyalty whatsoever. Don’t mistake this for buying things that are not needed. That is something to watch out for when couponing. So what if Wal-Mart has a great deal on eggplant purple clown makeup? I don’t care if it’s free. I don’t need it, so I’m not going to waste my time buying it. But if x brand pasta is available for 25 cents per box, I’ll try a new brand without thinking twice.

 

Cloth Diapering

Saving money also means doing a lot of things more cheaply. Cloth diapering was one of the first changes I made. I did the math and saw we were spending about $100 per month on diapers. And we were NOT buying Pampers or Huggies (never have)! At the time, we had two in diapers and also one needing overnight protection due to enuresis. I did a lot of research and found that traditional flat cloth diapers were the cheapest. I waited until I could, and I ordered some…along with some of the PUL covers (the slick cover that actually keeps the diaper contents from leaking out). I quickly figured out I didn’t have enough, so I figured out how to make my own covers. I ordered the fabric, watched several online tutorials, spent some time talking to other diaper makers online, and then I made a couple of covers. I still plan to make some more, but I haven’t had the chance yet. I was also able to find someone who had some extra covers they wanted to give away (yes, they can be sanitized). Cloth diapering is not convenient. It’s not glamorous. In fact, it is quite repulsive much of the time. When there is poo, the flat (big rectangular piece of fabric) must be rinsed out into the toilet before the flat can go in the diaper pail. There are all sorts of fancy “diaper sprayers” that can be bought for this specific purpose. There are even contraptions that sit on the toilet to contain all the poo water and keep the spray from going all over the walls, floors, etc. Personally, I could not imagine spending that kind of money on poo, so I bought a longer hose for the shower sprayer so that it would reach the toilet (there are good things about having small bathrooms). I also bought a couple of cheap ($3) 5-gallon buckets at Wal-Mart. One is used as our diaper pail (no need for an expensive pail despite what the cloth diaper manufacturers say) and one is our sprayer bucket. Jason drilled a drain hole in the bottom of it and brought in a couple of small pieces of wood to sit it on when it is on the toilet. Voila! Fancy diaper spray contraption for just a few bucks! I am still in the process of switching to cloth wipes. I bought some cheap flannel remnants and plan to make some wipes when I get a chance. For now, we use mostly the Wal-Mart brand of wipes and I try to be conservative.

Cloth diapering definitely increases the laundry. Every other day, I do diaper laundry. This is not something that can wait. And amazingly, it isn’t simple either. So many things must be considered…the hardness of the water…the type of fabric (my flats are organic bamboo but the covers are PUL)….the capabilities of the machine. The diapers must first be rinsed in the washer….then washed with just the right amount and type of detergent and water softener....then rinsed again and an extra rinse. All sorts of issues can develop without the right laundry routine. There’s ammonia buildup, “barnyard stink”, wetness-activated ammonia odor, and more. No fabric softener can be used because it will cause the fabric to repel rather than absorb moisture. No diaper rash ointments can be used either unless they are specifically made for cloth diapering. Thankfully, I learned that unrefined coconut oil can be used safely on cloth diapers. It doesn’t really cure a rash (thankfully we rarely have rash issues), but it can help prevent them and is so much more environmentally-friendly than typical rash creams. It takes a lot of trial and error to develop the right laundry routine, specific to a certain machine, water type, and fabric type. But once it is established, it really isn’t all that difficult. It’s just some extra work.

DIY

After switching to cloth diapers, I also began to research ways to make things that we would normally buy. I learned about castile soaps and ordered some Dr. Bronners when I was able to afford it. I also learned about essential oils and making my own personal care and household cleaning products. No more buying lotions, facial cleansers, hand soap, household cleaners (other than bleach), and several more items I was used to buying. Now, I make our hand soap using castile soap, vegetable glycerin, water, and essential oils. I make our body wash, facial cleanser for myself and my older girls, facial scrub, and body butter moisturizer. I bought some essentials such as shea butter, beeswax, cocoa butter, sweet almond oil, peach kernel oil, jojoba oil, and organic unrefined coconut oil (NOT the cheapie Wal-Mart kind). Yes, buying all these supplies took a little money, and I had to wait until it could be done. But it is now saving us money. I have also made homemade lip balm, and we use quite a bit of that around here. The castile soaps can be used for cleaning pretty much everything in the house (diluted to various degrees based on the purpose). They aren’t great as dish soap, so I still buy dishwashing liquid when I can get it really cheap. I bought some recently for 19 cents per bottle! To clean the floors, I use a mixture of vinegar and water and a steamer. No harsh chemicals. It is so much cheaper and better for pets and children. I no longer use fabric softener at all. Instead I use plain white vinegar. Occasionally I put a few drops of essential oil in for the scent, but it isn’t necessary. Vinegar is a wonderful, natural fabric softener. I have made homemade detergent in the past, but it really just doesn’t work as well and can actually ruin cloth diapers. I am NOT going to take the chance on ruining my cloth diapers or not getting them clean enough to be sanitary, so I still buy whatever laundry detergent I can get for a great price. Jason constructed a nice clothesline in the back yard, so I hang out as much laundry as possible.  I also made some 100% wool dryer balls that I use when I do have to dry a load in the dryer. The balls help to soften the fabric, reduce static, and cut down on drying time. I use six in every load. These can be bought on Etsy or even Amazon, but I wanted to save money and make my own. My mother was kind enough to get the yarn for me without taking any reimbursement for it. (Thanks Mom!)

I am fairly handy with a sewing machine, so I have also made many needed items. In addition to cloth diaper covers, I have made bibs, pacifier clips, car seat strap covers, hair accessories, and a sensory fringe blanket for Sadie Pearl. I have repurposed old changing pads to make bibs and even mama cloth for myself. That is another area of savings…mama cloth. I have made my own from organic bamboo fleece and microfleece. If you don’t know what mama cloth is, just Google it. I won’t go into the details here. We have also cut down on our use of paper towels too. With pets and young children, we used to go through almost a roll per day! Now a roll will last us at least a week or more. We usually only use paper towels for pet messes. I use washcloths to wipe down messy kiddos…and old rags for household cleaning. If someone spills water or something that is not too messy, I just grab a not-so-dirty dirty towel out of the hamper and use it to clean up. I also try to reuse paper for printing coupons. As long as I have one blank side and no personal info on the other side…it’s perfect for coupon printing.

We are trying to reuse items as much as possible too. While I have made some baby food for Sadie Pearl, we still have a lot of baby food jars. We save them, wash them, and I use them for storing coconut oil or the whipped body butter or sugar scrub that I make. I also use them for storing things in the kitchen. Just this week, I used an empty Lipton Tea jar to store flaxseed. I don’t keep everything. If we truly don’t need it, it goes in the trash or to the recycling center. But if something has a purpose…I will definitely reuse rather than spending money to buy something I already have right in front of me.

Changes in the Kitchen

Another biggie for us has been cutting down our grocery bill. With “larger” families, grocery bills can be a major strain. We do not receive food stamps. Yes…we struggle. But we manage. I have learned how to make my own taco seasoning and plan to do the same for meatloaf, chili, and anything else that I would have typically bought a seasoning packet to make. I am finding that the seasonings I make are much healthier than the ones in the packets anyway. I learned how to make healthy granola. Just yesterday I made some homemade (and quite healthy) whole wheat bread with coconut oil rather than butter or margarine…from scratch. McKenna said it was better than anything that could be bought at the store, and that’s a big compliment coming from a child that has sensory issues and cannot tolerate many foods.  While I don’t really want to encourage a lot of unhealthy treats, I am sure not thrilled about the idea of paying Little Debbie to make something I can make for much less money for my kiddos. Yes, it takes time. There are more dishes to wash. I used to do 1-2 jam-packed-full loads per day. Now I absolutely have to do at least two full loads. BUT…it can be done and cooking is something I enjoy being able to do for my family. I also keep a list on the fridge of all the leftovers we have (complete with dates) inside. That way, things don’t get forgotten. We eat a lot of leftovers, and that’s the way it should be. I HATE wasting food! There are so many people who are starving in this world! We’ve also started shopping some at the salvage grocery store. Yes, the cans are dented and dusty. Some things are expired (though still just fine). The selection varies and can be a bit odd, but it saves us money and puts food on the table. I will admit that there have been a few things from there that have not tasted all that great. I am NOT a picky eater at all, so if I think something tastes a little off…trust me…it does. But as long as it is not spoiled and dangerous to eat, I eat it anyway. I cannot say that my children or even my husband will do the same, but it really doesn’t bother me to eat something that might not taste all that great as long as it doesn’t make me sick. Hey, I chose the first and ONLY wedding dress I tried on….so what does that tell you?

Here's my bread dough, letting the yeast rest and getting ready to bake.



I am also making my own salad dressing from extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, dill, and pepper. For every needed item, I try to ask myself whether or not I can make it for less than I can buy it. The answer is almost always yes. Of course, as you might imagine, there isn’t always time to make things. So that has to be considered as well. Sometimes with the right coupon combination, I can  buy things for less than I can make them. I have started making pureed baby food for Sadie Pearl too (see pic of sweet potato/apple puree).



The girls’ IMPACT coordinator has been nice enough to bring us some salvaged groceries too. They know every little bit helps, and we are extremely grateful to them for their kindness.

Our garden is already planted for the year, and I am planning to do as much canning as possible. We didn’t grow our own strawberries, but I plan to purchase some locally and make jam in the next couple of weeks. We use quite a bit of jam here, so that will definitely be a savings for us. We also plan to can pickles and beans and probably freeze corn. Hopefully we’ll be able to add to that list, but that depends on a lot of things. The big kiddos are very good at gardening (4-H Junior Master Gardeners!), but my back tends to work against me when it comes to gardening. So I have to be careful.

The month isn’t over yet, but it looks like we will probably have cut our typical grocery bill by at least 40% this month!

Family Fun

Another way we have been saving money for years is by not taking trips or going on outings that many families go on regularly. In the 11.5 years since we had our first child, we have taken only two vacations and one of those was mostly because of a promise I’d made to our oldest two children relating to the death of their sister. There are no weekend trips or even day trips for that matter. We are extremely busy. After all, saving money by not paying anyone for yard work, housekeeping, babysitting, or anything else means spending time doing it all yourself. And with a “larger” family, it is a very big job. Even if we were going to spend money on taking regular trips or going to the movies once every couple of months, we wouldn’t have the time to do it. Things can get very behind very quickly with a larger family. And when things get too far behind, things start to unravel even more than usual.

Jason and I don’t have date nights or go out with friends…ever…period. That doesn’t mean we would never do those things. It’s just that it’s not in our budget right now and childcare for those things isn’t available anyway. This doesn't mean our family never has fun. We just find the fun in everyday events and do occasionally get to see a movie or something like that.

 Clothes and Extras

We have been extremely fortunate over the years to get hand-me-downs from several people. We try to do the same with clothing once our kiddos no longer need it. We usually donate to Goodwill, the school’s family resource center, or give things to the girls’ friends if they can use them. We rarely ever buy clothing but when we do, it often comes from Goodwill or Wal-Mart. I also buy items from yard sales and Ebay. I don’t care about name brands. I don’t care about being fancy. I don’t care what the latest styles are. As long as our clothes are clean and presentable…we are very, very fortunate. Anyone who knows me knows that I have pretty much been wearing the same one pair of pants (from Goodwill) and shirt (about 10 years old and from Wal-Mart) for many months now. That has been my only real decent outfit to wear in public, though my weight loss is now allowing me to wear a few of the things I got at Goodwill before I got pregnant with Sadie Pearl. So what if I wear the same shirt everywhere? Who really cares? As long as it is decent and clean…that’s all that matters. There are so many more important things in life than what clothes a person is wearing. I don’t need a bunch of shoes or purses, etc. I just don’t place any importance on those things when there are people out there starving and suffering every day. In fact, I even feel guilty for having what I do have. There are always those who have less.

My girls are reaching the point where they are wanting certain styles of clothing (not certain brands…at least not yet). That’s fine. However, they will learn, just as I did at an early age, that clothing is not important and if they want something that isn’t necessary, they will need to work and earn it. They may despise Jason and I for not getting them cell phones, but I personally do not feel that my pre-teen daughters have any business having a phone. It is not a necessity by any means. At some point, if they want to work and pay for their own cell phone, that is fine. If we are in a position to do so, we may even help them with some of the expense in exchange for extra chores. But for now, they will remain phone-less. And as long as getting them a phone isn’t in our budget, they will not be getting one no matter what their age…unless they can work to pay for it. Jason’s phone is provided by his employer and mine is a Straight Talk $45 per month plan. That is our only phone bill.

We rarely get haircuts. In a good year, I get two haircuts. I don’t get highlights or anything else fancy done…just a cut. Some years, I only get one haircut. The girls get a trim about 2-3 times per year. Jason goes a little more often, simply because he doesn’t want to have long hair. I have tried to get Jason to let me cut his hair, but he refuses. I don’t get manicures, pedicures, or anything like that…ever. I rarely buy makeup and when I do, I either get it for free or nearly free with a coupon or buy it on Ebay. Lincoln also gets a haircut every few months. Jason tried cutting Lincoln’s hair once. It did not turn out well.

 Saving Energy

We have managed to reduce our electric bill by quite a bit, and I expect to see it drop even more because of the very recent changes we’ve made. Using the new clothesline has helped us so much because we have a lot of laundry! It isn’t always easy (okay…it is never easy) to hang out clothes. I have to find a time during the day when Sadie Pearl is asleep or safely occupied (and those things are rare). I then have to contend with trying to get out the door and down several concrete steps with a heavy basket full of wet laundry, with cats and a 3-year-old getting in my way. My little man most usually goes outside and starts getting into something. So I often have to stop hanging up the clothes in order to get him out of the mud he’s just made with the water hose…or remind him to stop peeing in the yard…or go after him when he decides to run off to the neighbor’s house. It isn’t as simple as just going outside and hanging out clothes. I also try to open windows and turn off the central heat/air whenever possible. I keep lights off during the day whenever I don’t truly need them (and daylight is usually enough). I unplug small appliances not being used (toaster, can opener, etc.). I do whatever I can to use less electricity, and we’re definitely noticing a difference in our bill…even with the added energy used by washing cloth diapers. I wash someone’s bedding, on average, about every other day due to bed-wetting incidents. That alone would make our electric bill rise quite a bit if I did not use the clothesline. I do not use the heat dry setting on the dishwasher and try to wash most clothing in cold water.


Rewards and a Dollar Here and There

If a certain product or brand has a rewards program, I take advantage of it. I enter codes online or send in receipts for rebates. I do online surveys when I can…and sign up for free samples anytime I find a legitimate one. Those things all add up. Yes, I have been known to dig through the trash to find a rewards code that was overlooked. That’s what soap is for, right? This takes quite a bit of time, but it’s just another part of my job. I have also made it a point to start saving any napkins we get when we do occasionally have fast food. I save all the condiments too. I have bought one of those nifty red ketchup bottles to squeeze all the extra ketchup packets into. I know that may sound crazy, but hey….I’m not throwing out ketchup!

 That’s All….I Think

I am sure I am leaving out some things, but it’s been a long day and my brain needs some sleep now. It doesn’t operate very well after being up for 18+ hours.  So there you have it….a glimpse of what I’ve been doing to help my family keep going. I am sure we could improve, and I am constantly trying to find ways to cut expenses even more. In addition to being a full-time stay-at-home-mother, this is my job. It consumes so much of my time and energy, but that is what makes it a job. It isn’t easy, but it is necessary and something I have been blessed to be able to do. An answer to prayers doesn’t always result in God slapping a big, fat, tasty fish on the dinner table. Sometimes the answer comes in the form of a fishing pole and the ability to use it.

If you are a mother who works outside the home and you are reading this thinking, “Well, that’s all great, but I don’t have time to do all that.” Well, you’re exactly right. While you are away working hard at your job, you don’t have time for all the stuff that I am doing. And I do not have time for your job because I am busy doing mine. I save my family thousands of dollars each year by being the sole childcare provider and housekeeper, cutting expenses, and providing mom’s taxi service. I have the utmost respect for moms who work outside the home, and I also believe in what I am doing and how it contributes to my family and society in general.  

No comments:

Post a Comment